It’s amazing how fast this year has gone in light of the events we have all faced. December is such a festive time of year and I see that so many more homes are being decorated with holiday lights as I drive around different communities in south Florida.
As I love to always help others and provide safety tips whenever possible, this time of year is especially important because so many of us have the mindset that “it won’t happen to me”. Keeping your loves ones and property safe is important and I wanted to give you these helpful tips to avoid a fire loss if you decorate for the holiday season:
1. Before lighting the candles on your menorah, clear the surrounding are from any flammable materials and place your menorah on a glass or ceramic dish or tray.
2. Inspect electrical decorations and extension cords for damage or exposed wires and make sure they are labeled with a safety certification.
3. Always keep your tree watered daily to avoid drying.
4. Never overload electrical outlets.
5. Use battery operated candles whenever possible.
6. Never leave your kitchen unattended while cooking and baking.
7. If you are using a fryer, keep your surroundings clear from any flammable items, wear a fire safe apron and gloves. Never put your face or body over the fryer.
8. Never pour cooking oil down your sink drains, disposal or toilets. Cool the oil and put in a sealed container and discard in a trash container.
9. Always unplug, turn off and extinguish all decorations when going to bed.
10. While using your fireplace, place a protective screen in front and make sure there are no lit ambers before discarding.
From our homes to yours, we want to wish all of our clients, colleagues, friends and families a very happy, healthy and safe holiday season.
Leave a Reply.